Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 14-ounce (396 g) package firm or extra-firm tofu (organic)
- 2 cups (200 g) roughly chopped green beans (organic)
- 1 cup (128 g) diced carrots or red pepper (organic)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) toasted sesame oil for sautéing (or sub peanut or coconut)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) low-sodium soy sauce (make sure it’s gluten-free if gluten-free)
- 1 Tbsp (6 g) fresh grated ginger (organic)
- 2 Tbsp (27 g) organic brown sugar (organic)
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) agave or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan) (organic)
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) cornstarch
*First dry the tofu, then bake it at 400° until browns and create a tougher texture, and then let it set out for about 10 mins, this will help it dry more. This gives it a “meat-like” texture, which makes it easier to soak up delicious sauces!! YUMM! *
- Preheat oven to 400° and begin drying your tofu. Drain, remove from the package and place between two thick towels, wrap tight. Occasionally press down on the tofu, each side, to express liquid – change towels if needed, if they get too wet.
- Arrange tofu on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet to prevent sticking and bake for about of 20-35 minutes, flipping once halfway through to ensure even cooking. This will dry out the tofu and help give it a more meat-like texture. If you want a tougher texture, cook for full 35 mins. If cut too thin, the tofu will become too hard, so be aware of not to cut cubes too thin.
- Once it’s golden brown and a bit tough and firm, remove it from the oven, set aside.
- Start prepping your vegetables
- If serving over rice, start the rice. (if you desire to eat it with Chinese fried rice go to my website for recipe)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients – set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add sesame oil and even it out in the pan. Then add veggies and toss to coat. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. When the vegetables become tender (not soft), add the sauce and stir. It should bubble and thicken. Then add the tofu and stir to coat.
- Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Serve. MANGA!!
Recipe type: Entrée
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Serving size: 1/2 recipe Calories: 371 Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 38g Sugar: 23gSodium: 1500mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 16g